PerlWEB -- Literate Programming for PERL
(Version 1.0.1, August 1997)
PerlWEB is a literate programming system for Perl and HTML. There are two tools (as in every LP-system) called w2p and w2h. w2p converts PerlWEB into Perl and w2h converts PerlWEB into HTML. The Perl output is reasonably indented but not intended for maintenance. The HTML output contains hyperlinks for modules and subroutines to support navigation with a HTML-browser.
The PerlWEB-distribution contains:
- UNIX shell script for converting PerlWEB to PERL;
- Windows shell script for converting PerlWEB to PERL;
- UNIX shell script for converting PerlWEB to HTML;
- Windows shell script for converting PerlWEB to HTML;
- PERL program for converting PerlWEB to PERL;
- PERL program for converting PerlWEB to HTML;
- supporting PERL programm;
- supporting PERL programm (PERL beautifier);
- PerlWEB program for converting PerlWEB to PERL;
- change file for web2perl.web to adapt it to Windows peculiarities;
- PerlWEB program for converting PerlWEB to HTML;
- change file for web2html.web to adapt it to Windows peculiarities;
- include file to introduce some general concepts into PerlWEB programs;
- common part for web2html.web and web2perl.web;
- documentation in HTML;
To install the distribution on your system you have to do the following
Expand the ZIP-file in some directory (Windows) or unzip and untar the Unix archive.
Put all PERL programs in some directory where they can be located by PERL.
The script files must be put in some directory on the path of the shell (in UNIX) or COMMAND.COM (in Windows).
Make sure that PERL (version 5) is accessible. The Windows version additionally needs a C preprocessor PERLCPP which must be in the Windows path.
After that installation PerlWEB is operational.
The original files web2perl.web and web2perl.dos together with Windows change files and necessary include files (general.web, web2xxx.web) are also included in the distribution. Whenever code has to be changed, please don't do it in the Perl files...
Running the programs
The UNIX and Windows command line for w2p is
w2p web_file.web [ change_file.ch ] [ -o outfile ]
and the same conventions apply to w2h:
w2h web_file.web [ change_file.ch ] [ -o outfile ]
If no outfile is given output goes either to STDOUT (in UNIX) or to junk.prl for w2p or junk.htm for w2h (in Windows). If no change file is specified, the change file is null (i.e. no changes are incorporated...).
Here are the download files: